A Yummy Yarn Warehouse

I've been living in our town for 15 years now and only about 2 years ago discovered a proverbial "gold mine" of yarns, rovings and threads right in my backyard!! Well, not really in MY backyard, but only a few streets away. How could I have missed it all these years? I think I just didn't look! But now that I have, are they happy campers to have me as a customer or what?.
Well, to begin with, I started crocheting just last year. I must hiccup here and mention that my mom is very artistic and I don't know how she found the time to do all her fiber projects...and she didn't even have UFOs, (un-finished objects). So here's to you Mom! Hugs & Bisous (kisses) from France.
She tried for years and years and years to teach all her daughters knitting, tatting, crocheting, and only my older sister caught on. She's very good at it ... all of it! And fast to boot.
Anyway, back to this fabulous find.... it's a yarn warehouse, destocking various sources and by looking at it from the street, you wouldn't suspect all the wonderful goodies inside. Looks like an old shed in a residential neighborhood, stocked to the roof (literally, I am not kidding) with all this eye-candy and at very good prices.
It's only open on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and only 2 hrs. each day, 10-12 noon. If you're a professional you can make an appt., but I guess I'm a little maso(chistic). I like to go in and get bustled around by all the other excited yarn addicts, you know ... touching, pinching, rubbing ... (I AM talking about the yarn here!).

These are my latest acquisitions .... Hey! Technology for Dummies Alert! I just now discovered that you can double click on a picture to zoom and get some detail. Try it out to see if it works for you..

At the left is a soft & cuddly pink, light blue and lavender microfiber that I'm contemplating making into some make-up remover pads, never attempted before but I like trying new things. It would be cute as a stuffed thingamajig also.

Then there's this nubby, thick & thin cottony-type that I just couldn't resist because I LOVE these colors together, blue, purple, teal and the texture is amazing. Actually, I don't know what the fiber content is, sometimes the labels are gone and you just have to guess. So I guessed cotton, rayon, maybe a blend. It's shiny, but not metallic. ... I'm waiting for it to tell me what it wants to be. but meantime I'm thinking a scarf or top or granny squares. I'm sure that it will be a pain in the patootie to crochet.

And this light bluish-turquoisey-reminds-me-of-the-Grecian Sea - 50% wool, 45% acrylic, 5% poly that is sooo soft I just had to have it. It's fluffy & I don't have any idea what it will become, but just looking at it gives me goosebumps. Or as the French call them, chair de poule (chicken skin). Ok, go ahead, call me weird, crazy, obsessed, I've heard it all before.

 
The yellow and orange acrylics are getting turned into a Rubber Duckie for a fab quilter that collects all sorts of rubber duckie things. See the crochet hook sticking out? I already did the head and body, next is the bill. I chose a bright almost fluorescent orange just to make it a little fun and unique, like my friend.
My bad pic from the free pattern I got from the Pixie Kitten. She's got lots of neat stuff over there. Check it out.
Last but certainly not least is 400-something grams of wool roving that I just could not resist. I don't know how to spin, but I have done some needle felting & I'm ready to try my hand at some nuno-felted . Plus, it was such a deal! Oh, those beautiful blue fibers running thru and thru,and it's sooo soft, sooo squeezy.
My daughter keeps hovering over this one, I may have to share it.


If you have any suggestions please do let them be known, I'm just a beginner crocheter so any input is greatly appreciated.
I must leave you  now to calm down, stop drooling and get hooking!
A.

Comments

  1. you must have been thrilled. Hope you have lots of space for your 'stash' which I;m sure will grow by leaps and bounds,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jan,
    No, just ingeniousness. I'm becoming an expert at making space where it didn't exist. My stash is already several years old.
    A

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment