Prayer Flags Day Nine

Day nine and my word is FAITH.
Let me start with a disclaimer - I know faith and religion can be volatile subjects. I am exploring areas of my life in these posts. It is not my intention to make judgments. I am exploring my thoughts and welcome any comments as long is they do not degrade any faith or religion.
What is faith?
Is it religion? If so, does it include all religions or just yours?
Is faith a belief? Does it mean going to a church, Synagogue, or mosque? Is it how you live your life? Or is it a combination of things?
Does "faith" have to include a deity? Or can you have faith in yourself and how you treat other people?
I know people who claim to have "faith", but lie, cheat and steal whenever the opportunity arises.
I know people who say they are Atheists, but who treat people with respect, are kind, honest...., people who I would trust with my life. I also know people who are, in my opinion, shining examples of their faith and live their beliefs without fanfare. And I am sure we all know those that seem to have no boundaries.
From what little I know of various faiths, it seems that once you boil it all down to the basics, they are all pretty much the same. A different word, a different ritual, but very similar.
Why can't we appreciate another view while still staying true to our belief?
Are your "beliefs" truly your own or have they been handed down to you with threats of dire consequences if you do not adhere to them?
Do you study your religion? Have discussions with like minded and opposing minded people?
Do you respect other peoples beliefs even if they differ from yours?
If you have strong beliefs, do you think they are the only possible answer?
Is it OK to push your beliefs onto others? To judge them if their beliefs are not the same as yours?
If you have a strong faith, it is OK to pick and choose what (for lack of a better word) rules you want to follow? Are there basic guidelines and then you decide from that point on what you want to abide by? Or is there a basic tenet that is observed?
I feel that I have always had "faith". I have attended a variety of churches and while I respect the teachings, I felt that unless I believed in them it wasn't a place for me. It took me a while, but I finally found a place where I respect and hold to be true their beliefs. A place to study, discuss, question and generally feel part of a community.

Ciao for now,
Peggy

PS:
The picture on the Faith flag is a miniature copy of an art piece that my son made for his daughter as we are a multi faith family. I find it interesting that I pulled faith the day after family.



Comments