Prayer Flags Day Twenty Four

TRAVEL
This is not along the line of the other words I have been working on, but it is a word that is very important to me.
Here is one of my favorite quotes:
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
Mark Twain - Innocents Abroad

Through travel I have met incredible people, seen sites that most folks only see in books and have learned things about myself that I otherwise would not have learned.  Through travel I have learned self reliance, humility and courage, just to name a few. I am humbled when I am in a foreign city by myself, particularly if they speak a different language, and I struggle to communicate. I find self reliance when I can navigate public transportation and make it to my destination. I have found courage when I head off by myself, as uncomfortable as I might feel, and discover something that I might not have seen I had not ventured out.

Travel also offers you the opportunity to see how others live. It can give you a better understanding of other cultures and of yours.
I think you can get the effects of travel by exploring places closer to home. I can't imagine any place that doesn't have some learning experience to offer.

Bon voyage.

Peggy




Comments