Project My Way Episode One

Greetings,
I have a confession to make.
I am a Project Runway Addict!
I have watched every episode (some multiple times) since the beginning. I am excited when the new season is starting and sad when the season ends. I looked forward to each airing.
Being a "sewist" and always having a love for fashion, I find Project Runaway a learning experience. Not that I always agree with the winners or the styling, but....
One season I decided to tie Chic Chix and Champagne to Project Runway by recreating the winning look in each episode to an upcycled version. I like to think of it as "Project My Way". The challenge gave me a chance to stretch my skills and think outside the box.
I am taking up the challenge again this season. The guidelines I give myself are using what I already have to recreate the actual design or the spirit of the design.
The first episode was a Red Carpet look that expressed your style.
Here is the winning look:


I rarely (never) do a Red Carpet event so I decided to go with an event I will be attending in September.
I am in the process of moving/rearranging my workspace. The process is like Christmas for me. I come across items I haven't seen or forgot I had. That is the case with the fabric I choose for this challenge.
My younger son was getting married a few months after I had a planned trip to France. I wanted to buy fabric in Paris to make a dress for his wedding. I knew what shoes I wanted to wear so I took them with me. I carried those shoes around Paris for a couple of days, haunting the fabric stores until I found what I wanted. Well, I ended up buying something so the fabric went into my stash. When I ran across it recently, I set it aside. Even after 10 years it is still one of my favorites.
Here is my fabric:


I altered a pattern I already had to match my vision for the dress:

FrontBack

















Drape close up


I love a dress cut on the bias. It is flattering no matter your size or figure. The draped neck is a also a favorite.

Here is my styling for the outfit:



The denim duster is available from Chicchixnchampagne/Etsy (currently on sale). The hand painted clutch is available on Etsy at Helminiak Visions. The beaded shoes are the same ones I carried around Paris. Pearls are always a go to for me. I had another necklace and earrings in mind, but preferred the simplicity of the pearls. The fabric is sheer. I photographed it with a black slip, but could use a variety of colors.
I am a fan of capsule wardrobes (will be doing posts later on this). The pieces in this outfit have multiple possibilities.
I will post a photo when I am dressed for the function early next month.
Comments are always appreciated.
See you next week with episode two.
Ciao,
Peggy

Comments