Project My Way Episode 2

This winning look from Episode 2 was a tough one to redo from materials I already had. I finally landed on a vinyl pantsuit, off white cotton fabric, a newsprint fabric, and a maternity jumper, all of which are recycled. The pantsuit was from a friend, the white fabric had a former life (not sure as what) as it had a seam in it. The newsprint fabric was purchased at a thrift store (my original thought was to use it for purse lining). I picked up the jumper because of the fabric. Originally, I wanted to use the polka dot, but alas, it ended not fitting in.

I started by painting the red dots on the newsprint fabric and stenciled a strip of white fabric to use down the front of the skirt.












I made the bodice using a pattern that I made my younger sister's wedding dress from thirty years ago (hard to believe it has been that long ago!). The bodice pattern had front and back lace inserts. I used the newsprint instead of the lace. I cut off the bodice of the jumper and attached it to the bodice. The stenciled strip was attached to the center front of the skirt.



The vinyl suit was tricky to take apart. I had to handle it very gently to prevent damage to the material. I removed the center parts of the jacket and fringed the sleeves. I then attached the piece backwards to the bodice at the shoulders which allowed me to use the collar as a neckpiece.
The seams of the pants were removed and the pieces were evened out and then fringed. I left the waistband and pockets intact.
I used the jacket zipper on the bodice back.





My styling for this outfit is black suede booties, a small leather purse and silver earrings. The skirt's fringe is removable giving the option to use a variety of belts or not.



My special piece is this one of a kind necklace made specifically for this project by my friend and partner, Alysen Gervais. We are on opposite sides of the country right now (usually different continents), so a photo is my stand in. Stayed tuned to our Etsy shop, ChicChixNChampagne for more custom jewelry from Alysen.
Thanks for checking in and check back for my remake of the winning look from episode three later this week.
Ciao for now,
Peggy

Comments