Burning the Midnight Oil in Georgia

Not really, but I wanted a catchy title! I usually have about 3-5 projects going at the same time and in various stages of production. You know how it goes: missing a component, not sure of the next design element, FRUSTRATION (as in 1st pic), getting sidetracked, etc. etc. etc.

So, last week I decided to be daring and signed up for a monthly challenge at one of the blogs I follow closely. The theme for this month is 'Nesting', to be interpreted freely and in any medium and/or artform. This way, they open up the possibilities to artists other than Jewelry Artists.

This will be a bracelet, using square wire where each wave 'nests' into another. At this stage, I became frustrated with holding it all together and took a break. (Edit: After watching some Indian Wells Tennis and see below, my mojo came back and I actually finished this cuff, hardened and cleaned it for a few hours in the tumbler and will oxydize and polish later today or tomorrow). Follow up in another post.

I dallied with some of my crystal points (aren't they stunning?) and smoky quartz rounds. Again, you know how it goes: touching them, asking what they want to be made into, sketching different design possibilities ... I let these bathe in the light of the March full moon, so they're cleansed and ready to go.

The following are a couple of gifts I made for my friends and ex-colleagues back in France. I worked on these in 2017 and made two versions of the Celtic Hearts for my two besties there, Marian who's Irish and Liz who's Irish-born and bred, brought up in England. These were my first wire sheet projects that I cut out, stamped with a Celtic phrase and man o man, were those three-wire Triquetras a bugger to make until I figured out I should weave to hold them together!! Finished off with our three birth gemstones which are ruby, sapphire and emerald. Yes, those are the real gems.




Martha once told me she loves Labradorite, so I made up a pendant for her in a sorta wire freeform style. I balled the wire ends with a torch and the bail is constructed with three Peridots, which is her birthstone. Hand forged clasps and oxydized. She loved it and assured me she wears it often.






 
This last one was one of my first wire woven pieces. Using rose gold copper wire and a Rose Quartz gemstone, it's my version of the Eye of Ra or more commonly known as the Eye of Horus. It was also my first try at making a pin back out of copper. Let's just say that since, I've improved on that!!

Happy Creating,
Al



Comments