April Design Challenge & Blog Hop

It's Reveal Time! If you follow us on  Instagram  or Facebook, you've seen a few updates on this project for Art Elements' April Challenge. This is my 2nd participation and I'm lovin' the group of artists over there, they are so talented & friendly! I'm going to continue these challenges and you can too. Watch for a new blog post on March 1st (or 2nd...). The Blog Hop links are at the end of this post. Warning: please heed suggestion made by AE below about grabbing a beverage :) ...

This month's theme was Horses and the first (ok, second) idea that I had was 💡Seahorse💡. These little sea creatures fascinate me, and I have lots of  'inspiration' photos that I've gathered the last few years so thought 'why not'. Copper is my go-to wire and I think the blues & greens look cool with copper. Have you noticed that we love alliterations here?

If you know me, you know I don't like too many rules, so this is my liberally interpreted original design. That's what ART is all about isn't it?
 I chose Abalone for the tum-tum and these are 2-sided so they can be turned to show their best face 😀. It's about the choices kids. Tiny Aventurine rounds are wired in a figure 8 pattern to give some texture and 3 Sunstones act as that cute little fin that propels Seahorses thru their natural habitat.
Work in Progress
I started with a 5-wire weave in the middle so it could be used as a backing for the brooch pin, then just winged it for all the other steps. I hammered the head and tail flat to add some interest and really like how the weave around the tail turned out. It's hard for me to do a piece without adding spirals in there somewhere .. the eye is a Black Spinel bead wired into one of said spirals. Wasn't completely sure how to use some of the extra wires, so I wrapped and coiled them to interpret seaweed (+ spiral)!











Remember ... I like choices, so I followed this tutorial (which I saved months ago) and just happens to be by one of those Super Artist gals mentioned earlier. Must be Karma!! I made a Brooch to Necklace Converter out of heavy gauge copper wire (last pic) that just slips onto the pin, then close the pin. Yes, the brooch pin is offset on purpose. If the recipient is a little OCD, she / he can fasten the pin on a slant and the Seahorse will be straight!!

This silk ribbon's named 'Abalone' ... go figure!
Hiding from Predators 😛

Pin to Brooch Converter is removable
Et Voilà! Thanks for reading this installment of my Design Challenge adventure, please DO Comment, Like, Share among Social Media and check out each artist's blog link below to find out how they were inspired by the Horse theme!!
Al

Art Elements Comment: 'grab a cup of your favorite beverage and settle down for a whole herd of equine creations.  Here is the list of participants:
Guests:'
Alysen (that's me ya know!), Anita,  Beth,  CatherineJill,  Paulette,  Raven,  Sarajo,  Tammy
 AE Team Members:
Caroline,  Cathy,  Claire,  Jen ,  Laney ,  Lesley ,  Marsha ,  Niky,  Sue

Comments

  1. Awesome wirework! I love how you went super-creative and added in the seaweed from the extra wire. :)
    I'd thought of seahorses at first too (not wire-wrapped, however), but then went on a different route...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita, the 'seaweed' makes it a larger brooch/necklace, but that seems to be the style that adopted me! I like the route you went & if you'd chosen a seahorse it would have been just as fab, I'm sure!!

      Delete
  2. That is really incredible wirework! I love it! And the fact you used my tutorial from 2.5 years ago was a fun surprise. I had forgotten about that tutorial. LOL! When my husband and I were newly married (25 years ago), he was really into saltwater aquariums. To increase my interest in them too, he put together one specifically for seahorses. I loved it, but looking back, it was a pretty horrible thing to do. They need to be in their own environment as they just don't do well in aquariums :( They are such beautiful graceful creatures.

    I'm so glad you could participate in the challenge this month! Make sure you check out the May challenge, which will be revealed on the 1st :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I didn't even notice the date was 25 years ago!! I feel as you do, living creatures should be in their natural habitats. I can't bear to see birds in cages and try to catch 'bugs' when possible to put them back outside :)

      Delete
  3. Oh WOW! I love this seahorse-your wire wrapping is awesome. The blues/greens look great with the copper. And that's so great that you used one of Jen's tutorials! Thanks for participating again this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! Yeah, like I said about Karma and the tuto!! I count on participating every month, I learn so much.

      Delete
  4. wow, I love your seahorse it's amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided to respond to each of your comments, so Thank You Jill !

      Delete
  5. Beautiful wirework, he looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Caroline! I think I'm going to give this one to a dear friend.

      Delete
  6. What a spectacular little sea horse. Copper is my wire of choice as well, and I agree it goes great with blues and greens. Your wire work is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, it does my heart good to hear positive words! Thank you kindly.

      Delete
  7. Wow Alysen that wire wrapping is fantastic! I can't do that at all - I really appreciate the work that went into her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. It's a skill I've taught myself over the last 3 years ... and still learning and developing!

      Delete
  8. Lol. I love that your mind went to sea horses! Your wire wrapped piece is just amazing... so cool! It's great to have challenges with so much room for creativity and interpretation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarajo, that's why I decided to participate and so glad that AE expanded the possibility to do so! Thank you kindly for your encouraging words.

      Delete
  9. I admire anyone that can create in wire, all those teeny tiny wraps and twists. I love seahorses and your design is fabulous and perfect for this challenge :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laney, it takes lots of patience .. a skill I developed long ago as a graphic designer before computers!! I get the same satisfaction as you with one of your fab illustrations (which would take me days :) )

      Delete
  10. Oh, really great work, looks super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire. I really like how it turned out and smile each time I look at it!! Can't wait til tomorrow for next month's theme.

      Delete
  11. Amazing wire work - I love how you laid out the process and how it was all created! I love it and I also love how versatile it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I posted some progress pix on Instagram, but didn't include them all here! Versatile is my 2nd name!! :)

      Delete
  12. he is fabulous! I love the abalone for the tum and the weaving is beautiful. Gotta love those spirals too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Wendy for your nice comments! Never can have too many swirls n spirals ...

      Delete
  13. Wow! You took it and swam away! Well done you. Glad you are joining us!. Sorry I missed the reveal, glad you liked the theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jenny, I'm glad to have joined you also!! I'm sure you've spent the day catching up!

      Delete

Post a Comment