Design Challenge & Reveal (Art Elements: Tidepools)

It's the end of the month and you know what that means ... we get to drool over feast our eyes on all the art that this May Theme Challenge has inspired! Thank you Lesley Watt. At the end of this post are the links for each individual artist's blog. From all the peek-a-boos posted on social media during the month, methinks that many, many artists jumped into this pool.

I wanted to try out a couple of new techniques and I can report now that they F.A.I.L.E.D. I'll blog about them in a couple of weeks, after I waste more time trying to figure out why, why, why???

So let's get on with what DID work, the ideas and the finished work. Like most of my fellow artists, I have 3 or more projects clouding my brain and 'atelier' at any given moment. The following two are the ones that got finished in a timely manner.

I have some dyed Agate Slices in brown and blue and used one of the blue ones as my Tidepool. I really wanted to add something to the middle, but kinda ran out of time (see 2nd paragraph above).

I like the cloud's reflection in this shot!
I wire-wrapped the perimeter in a freeform, wavy pattern to create a hanging pendant. Then wired in Silver & Peacock Cultured Pearls as 'rocks' and Czech glass mirrored and blue/purple beads. I haven't yet decided on the necklace but when I do, I'll list it in our Etsy boutique.


Since I'm interested in Celtic anything, fairy folk and the tales that surround them, I started toying with a Mermaid idea. After researching a little I found that some stories tell about Merrows in tide pools. Here's an amusing Irish tale.

I used some new glass beads acquired for another project and dreamed up my Goddess-Merrow. The tail is actually two leaf beads with silver backing. Her 'hair' swirls around her body just so, to keep a small bit of mystery ....

I decided to use some Silk Ribbon to transform her into a bracelet. After wearing my prototype for awhile, I discovered that she likes to swim and hide underneath my wrist! The silk is too lightweight for the focal so I'll have to devise something else. I LOVE to gaze at my colorful Merrow while dreaming about the oceans, their secrets and wishing I were near one.


Why not join me now (I'm sipping an espresso, and you?) in perusing the blogs below to see all the eye-candy offered up in this month's Blog Hop & Reveal. Just Click and Hop ... 😉
A.
Guests
Raven  -  Kelly -  Cat  -  Kathy  -  Tammy  -  Alysen  -  Elaine  -  Mischelle   -  Deborah  -  Anita  
Jill  -  Shirlee  -  Sarajo 

AE Team Members:
Caroline  -  Cathy  -  Claire  -  Jen  -  Jenny Davies-Reazor  -  Laney   -  Lesley  -  Marsha   -  Niky
Sue  -  Lindsay

Comments

  1. I really love how you designed around the agate slice. That shimmeryblue of the agate behind the wire and beads is really lovely! I also love your 'Merrow' piece. Clever use of the leaf beads as her tail. If she is really heavy, maybe make her into a necklace rather than a bracelet. I would definitely wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alyson, great job! Your merrow is so great, I love how you made her hair swirl around like that, and the agate slice piece is great, looking forward to seeing how you finish it! Maybe a braided bracelet would work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful idea and design! Love seeing what you've come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The waves on the agate are so clever! Both pieces are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am drawn to your mermaid design! So clever and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wavy work you've done with the agate. As for the Goddess Merrow, she's beautiful! I too think you could try using her in a necklace if you eventually can't figure out a way to keep her from hiding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous agate and I have a weakness for wire wrapping so the free-form waves really tickled me. Great color and shape in your mermaid bracelet as well!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that agate piece is a real stunner and your Merrow is very original. great work and thank you for joining us in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really cool and original pieces! But I am also curious about the other techniques you tried! I know how frustrating it is to fail but also how every failure is teaching me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the wire work in your agate piece, I am always attracted to beautiful swirling patterns and I think the idea of keeping some mystery for your Merrow is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love you agate with the Silver swirls and you’re mermad bracelets ie wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The freeform wire on the agate is spectacular. It shows off the stone perfectly. And your merrow bracelet is fantastically whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting wrap on the agate slice - but as a fellow myth person - you really had me at Merrow. Thanks for joining us this month!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both pieces are gorgeous! I love the colors and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous work, the agate slice is perfect and how you used the leaves for the mermaid tail was inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the agate slice too, that blue is amazing! I rather like your mermaid too and love your words that she 'swam around your wrist'. I too love fairy tales and this month was inspired by stories too :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment