Sunflower Reveal & Blog Hop

The June Monthly Design Challenge chosen by Susan Kennedy for Art Elements seems to have inspired beaucoup d'Artistes! I had zillions of (ok, a dozen) ideas and of course, I wanted to use my newly-discovered technique of Etching. But first, I still had to perfect said technique! Which meant lots of failures  err.. experiments that didn't really pan out. I will do a separate post on all that.

So on to Plans B, C, D, more research and some purchases. I found the right resist for my needs and  choice of Etchant ... DecoColor Paint Markers/Pens that I ordered from Dick Blick online. I got one each in Very Fine, Fine and Broad points. They're easy to use albeit somewhat messy (that's why I work in my pajamas or old clothes). And also why I bought a Marker Clean Up pen.


I wanted to get this Summer Solstice Circlet ready for the the 21st, but it was clearly not going to happen. I kept working on it a little each day and just finished yesterday. I used Terra Verde Agate in the center, some Czech Glass matte rondelles around that and finished with a row of scintillating CZ seed beads.
Ready for Etchant. The Red Vine is my sustenance!

Just out of the bath. Hard to see depth of etch though

The other new medium I tried my hand at is Resin, so after more 'research' (ie the Big G & You Tube) I decided on Ice Resin since it says its self-doming. I've been doing some photo editing on pictures I have of my sweet Cannelle.If you don't know by now, I'm definitely a Cat Lady (notice I left out 'Crazy'?) and have wanted to do some cat-inspired jewelry for several years. Seemed like a perfect opportunity.


I used one of my Mom's watercolors and put together a few different images of Cannelle. A few years ago I had made a silhouette to use one day so I finally did in this challenge. I affixed them to some Brass / Copper blanks and applied the resin on top. Wanna know how I got rid of the air bubbles? I used my butane mini torch! Another way is to blow gently through a straw and they just 'melt' away.


The resin didn't dome a lot IMHO, maybe because of not using a bezel tray with sides, but I'm happy with my first attempt and will proceed to wire-wrap (or ?) these cabochons. If you have any ideas, please let me know in the comments below.
I've also got an idea floating around up there in the ole' noggin of doing some custom work with photos of other cherished fur babies.

Lopsided Low Dome. I advise checking to make sure the work surface is absolutely level!

I have some bezel trays and glass cabochons from another project and made a necklace and a brooch pin. The pin finding is longer than the tray so I'll have to think of a way to remedy that. These are only 22 x 30 mm (about 7/8" x 1-3/16) and really too small for my 'go big or go home' artistic leanings.

Oh, and one last pic ... I asked my daughter to please find this framed photo back home and scan it .. Way back in 1996 or '97, my kids in our front garden with some Sunflowers we planted from seed. I still had grass out there at that time. It was the first Summer in our newly constructed house and I had the pleasure (for several years) of inventing our garden from almost nothing. Now I have the pleasure of pruning, cleaning, etc. Let's say ... I will have the pleasure, after my Caregiver hiccup 😉😏.
I had to promise that I wouldn't tag them!!
I love doing these Design Challenges, they make me think out of the box and try different things that I probably would never get around to otherwise.
I hope you've enjoyed seeing some of my work and my muses. Please do scroll down to see other Artists participating in this month's #AEChallenge. Click & Blog Hop Along to discover their awesome interpretations of the #Sunflower theme.
A.

Guests -  Alysen (you're here!) x Anita x Cat x Divya x Jill x Kathy x Linda x Linda x Mischelle x Norma x Raven 
                Sarajo x Tammy

AE Team - Caroline x Cathy x Claire x Jenny x Laney x Lesley x Sue

Comments

  1. Alysen - wow, love what you did with the etching. I love how you were inspired to try new things, and your kitty! That pendant is so precious! And so is the photo of your kids! Thanks so much for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, for the compliments and a GREAT Theme!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the circlet! I too finished just in the nick of time this month. I look forward to seeing your "experiments" as I have many of those with my overambitious brain as well. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on Raven! I'll tell you a secret ... The attachment of the circlet to the sunflower isn't finished properly, hence the 1 photo. I have to figure out how to do it now .... :))

      Delete
  3. Experimenting can be so much fun, especially if things work out that wonderfully!
    As a cat person ('nuff said ;-)) I have to love the cat/sunflower images of course!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cat. I completely understand the cat lover thing!
      .../\„,„/\
      ..( =';'= )
      .../*♥♥*\
      ..(.|.|..|.|.)

      Delete
  4. Can not wait to see how you perfect said technique. I love the cat and sunflower watercolors.. The circlet is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice words Chelle. My "perfected'' technique is on the flower petals. Hard to see the depth of the etch, I just barely had time to photo and post the blog. I do plan on doing more etching tho ... gotta use up the solution!

      Delete
  5. The circle is wonderful and I love how you etched the petals (I especially loved your working picture!). What also works really well for etching are vinyl stickers. Sadly I don't have a cutting machine so I also use some pens, ready made stickers, or stamp image with archival ink.
    Your resin pieces are lovely, especially the black cat creates a wonderful contrast in front of the yellow. How about using some epoxy clay for the "flatter" pieces to either mount them on something or create a free form border?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire for the pointers about clay and I may just try that one day soon. Free form border is my style! I know about the vinyl stickers and special stamp pad, and I also used nail polish in one of my experiments.

      Delete
  6. Love the sunflower necklace, especially that you went for copper, I love copper, and the beaded necklace compliments the piece. Your cat pieces are adorable too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill ... Copper is my favorite metal to work with too. It's actually a Circlet to wear on the head, but .. hey, with the right clasp I may make it a convertible piece now. Thanks for the idea ;-)) .

      Delete
  7. Beautiful circlet necklace and the use of the watercolours is inspired - great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesley! I try to involve her a little and boost her spirits when possible.

      Delete
  8. I love your solstice circlet piece. The final etching turned out just perfect for the sunflower.
    I almost always use stamps to stamp a design on the metal for etching and I use StazOn solvent ink pads-works perfectly. Your resin pieces are adorable! I love the use of the sunflower behind the cat photos. The pin is my fave!! Typically, resin domes a bit better when you pour into a bezel or into one of the plastic molds they have specifically for resin jewelry.
    Keep experimenting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. I almost went out to buy a sunflower stamp and StazOn ink, then saw that I had some blanks and decided to etch those. The paint pens cover & protect perfectly ... I'm ready to do something more intricate, I think.
      I figured that I probably need something with sides for the resin, I followed a Utube video of someone who poured onto blanks like that. All in all I'm happy with that result and have some other images that I'm going to do too.

      Delete
  9. Love it all! I dabbled in etching and resin. I have no desire to try resin again, but your photos make me want to dig up my etching supplies and play. The flashback photo is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I was daunted at first about etching. I want to try the salt & battery eco-method too but first I'll use up my supplies of Muriatic Acid & Hydrogen peroxide. Go for it! Yeah, that photo was the first thing that popped into my mind upon reading the theme!

      Delete
  10. I love that you tried something new Etching has been on my to do list forever, maybe one day I will get around to trying it!!! Beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see all you gals from AE dabbling in all sorts of mediums & just had to try something different! Thanks for being my muses ... Since I'm not at home, I'm reluctant to buy/acquire too many things, so from now on I'm going to use what I have on hand!

      Delete
  11. Your etching is just wow! I totally love the result. The Cannelle pendant is so sweet and adorable. (And yay for the foray into resin. You're on a roll here.) And as for the scanned picture - it's really cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, thx for the nice words. I left the petals un-oxidized but I may do that to bring out the depth ...

      Delete
  12. Wow, these are so cool! Etching is my next experiment. I hope they're as great as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I use the Muriatic Acid + Hydrogen Peroxide method that I found online by a guy named the Crafsman. I will be doing a long post about my Etching foray soon.

      Delete
  13. So cool that you are experimenting. I think the idea of pairing the cat portrait with a sunflower is brilliant and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am interested in seeing more of your etching experiment. Good for you expanding your tools. I am a crazy cat lady and I love your cat pendants. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! I will work on my etching blog post this week. I remembered to take pictures throughout so hope they all came out okay! Here's to Cat Ladies ...
      .../\„,„/\
      ..( =';'= )
      .../*♥♥*\
      ..(.|.|..|.|.)

      Delete
  15. ooo I tried resin one year but I had the mix all wrong and it was too runny and never set, I love how yours worked and of course I am a fellow..ahem... cat follower :P That etched piece that is amazing. I loved following your trials and tribulations on Instagram.. or was it FB? I forget, to many media and too old to keep up! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .../\„,„/\
      ..( =';'= )
      .../*♥♥*\
      ..(.|.|..|.|.)
      One for you too Laney! I used the Ice Resin plunger thingie where the 2 parts are in different tubes and they come out in same amounts. Then you have to stir for 5 minutes. When I went to the local Michaels, they didn't have the full kit, only that. I still have 3/4 of it left. I post on both fb and Ig .. under both identities!

      Delete
  16. Your etched piece is so cool! And I love your experiments with resin. Super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just love those little watercolor bezels! And the copper circlet is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment