March Full Moon Challenge, The Worm Moon

March's Full Moon is tonight & it's also known as the Worm Moon. I set a personal challenge (p.c.) this year to make at least one item honoring each month's full moon. An open invitation stands to anyone who wants to join me.

I'm immensely enjoying my new leather obsession and painting on leather satisfies a creative outlet that I haven't explored in at least 25 years!! I realized that the last 3 challenges involving the Moon have turned out to be Hair Slides so I'll continue the year on that note.

Oh those Dust Bunnies! A learning curve of using Black Lucite in product photography.

Those squiggly wiggly things are supposed to be worms. I painted them because they just looked too .. spermy!
Flowers & Leaves are stamped on each side of the Moon.


This Month's leather piece also honors the Swallows that return each March. Being a native Southern California Gal, we were especially attentive to the San Juan Capistrano Mission swallows coming back every year. The S.J.C. Swallows are Cliff Swallows. All swallows don't have forked tails, and the ones we identify as Swallows are Barn Swallows. I also found out that another species of birds called Kites have forked tails.
So my Swallow is painted with several coats of a blue-black mixture. I incorporated some mica powder into the last two coats of the white Moon. I used some Antique Gel for the very first time on unpainted leather. It came out darker than I would have liked. When the stick is in the hair, the flowers are covered :( ...

I also put the finishing touches on the necklace that I started last year for the Worm Moon, no less, before I decided to do my p.c. this year. It's a mixed metal piece, using brass, bare copper and antiqued copper (the chain). The bare copper should oxidize over time.

Most of the torch patina sort of disappeared when I coated the disc with Permalac.

A brass circle is stamped with little 'craters', domed and a torch patina was applied. Copper Wire was coiled and the 'worm' is crawling through the Moon. Dangling from the worm are 3 small Aquamarine gemstone rondelles. Aquamarine is the March Birthstone.
A shell bird is perched and pulling on the worm. I used double coiled beads to continue the 'worm' look. Large 12mm Moonstone beads are sandwiched between Sunstone chips.

The April Full Moon is the Pink Moon .... pondering that one already! Now back to some Luna Moth work, the reveal is on March 28th.
Al

Comments