Highlander Plaids and Fasteners

Let me start with a disclaimer. I'm not a historian, didn't take art history and by no means pretend to be an expert on Highlander dress. But ... as you may have read in my previous post, I'm fascinated with the costumes in the Outlander Starz series. Correction ... I mostly mentioned Mr. Jamie Fraser in that post, but the costumes are a close second place.
Ever since my daughter started studying Costume Design (and got her Master's in December '16 Proud Mama brags), I realize that they're underrated, underbudgeted and overexploited. OK ok ... I vented so let's carry on.
My First!

I love seeing the outfits (male and female) on screen and compare them to what I've visualized while reading the books and of course, guys wearing kilts do intrigue me. I cannot tell a lie! Och, let's stay on subject. We're talking about the 18th century here and in those days they just didn't go out and buy a ready-made kilt with a waistband and cute buckles. I have to add here that I much prefer the style of the Outlander series kilts to the 'modern' variety.
The methodology of preparing the tartan and all the other accoutrements required by a proper Highlander in that time period is fascinating (word of the day). Here's one explanation by an entertaining fellow. Which brings me to the interesting piece that they used for fastening the plaid at the shoulder to help keep it all together. I could not figure out how that worked nor how it attached to a garment. Must have been a Senior moment. So, I did some research and learned that they're called Penannular Brooches. Amazingly simple to use and practical to boot. I suppose that's what the Scots thought too!
How to Wear a Penannular Brooch with Plaid

I immediately had a dozen or more ideas swimming around in the ole noggin' and the first picture in this post is my first attempt. It's square brass and quite simple. Two more intricate designs in copper are in various stages of production and a few others are sketched and awaiting my attention.
You can use fancier, smaller brooches with cotton, silk or thin wool scarves. Winter, bulky knit or crochet scarves would use larger and/or thicker wire. 
These present design and maker challenges and are fairly time-consuming to make (forge, anneal, forge, anneal, etc.) but there are so many possibilities I just can't stop at one .. or ten!
Check it out in our boutique and find more info about how to attach and wear a Penannular Brooch.
HEY, we love comments and interaction, you can even share with others!
A.

Comments