Revealing Mr. Carny Vore, Birds of Prey Theme Challenge

Well .. Hellooo There! If you feel a pair of beady eyes feasting upon you, Relax!
If I'm circling overhead or diving in your direction, Don't Worry!
We (read California Condors) don't go for living, breathing types .. No Offense intended.
It's the putred, luscious, dead morsel in your vicinity that we're interested in. Really! We can't smell the surely attractive odor, but our super duper eyesight and some other species of scavengers have alerted us to our next meal.
Oops .. heehee :)))
Now I'll tell you a little bit about me and how I came to be featured on this here blog. The slightly deranged chick who dreamed me up started calling me Carny in the early stages of my creation.

Oh, by the way, the beauty pageant I'm taking part in is the Art Elements Monthly Theme Challenge.

So, like I was sayin' ... I started this journey as a flat, lifeless (yum!) piece of  9-10 oz. veg. tanned leather. As my double row of feathers started taking shape, my human inventor decided I was just too cute not to have a name. So the nutcase decided to call me Carny Cali Condor (she loves alliterations) and as if THAT wasn't enough to make me wanna jump off the table and poke her eyes out, she now calls me Carny Vore (verry funny!).
Hey THAT's ME, coming to life!
Warning: Buttienskie Below! Scroll to continue with ME ME ME.

I combined the Challenge Theme with my personal Full Moon project & made a Hair Slide.
The Moon has some mica powder to add a little sparkle, can't see it in this image.

I lie there and try not to encourage her when she starts mumbling sweet nothings about how she loves the detail on my feathers; how my eyes are beautiful, black & beady (alliteration); the color in my wrinkled face is exactly how she imagined; yikes, I already know who I want as my lifelong mate and don't want or need any extra complications! I gotta fly this coop soon!
On the other hand, if she happens to die in the California Mountain Ranges where I hang out, that's another story ... I'll be all over her like maggots on uhh, well, dead meat!

When that time comes I'll be soarin' free and easy, catchin' some sea breezes to help me travel up to 150 miles in one day in my never-ending quest for tasty cadavers. Which reminds me .. I don't want to become one too soon. So stop using lead in ammunition to kill animals. That's our #1 cause of death. If you can't do THAT, at least find your victim and dispose of it properly!

Here's what my offspring will look like. Yes, California Condors DO change color as we mature, and also develop more white on our wing feathers as we age. Our feet are large enormous ðŸ˜‰, the better to help rip skin off bones!
Photo Credit: Alamy
Here are some stats about me & my folk.

Well, looky here, I've got French cousins! That's pronounced 'coozan'. Ooh La La ...
http://www.pyrenees-parcnational.fr/fr/des-connaissances/le-patrimoine-naturel/faune/gypaete-barbu

Hey, I really hate to greet and run, but I think I'll try to make a break from the crazy artist while she's busy finger dancing on a white rectangular thing (typing on computer). She's still mumbling .... something about Blog Hopping and wondering what tasty morsels the other artists (links below) have produced.
NOW'S MY CHANCE ... I bid you goodby and let's both hope we don't meet again!!


Hey, Al here .. looks like my blog post got pirated!!
California condors, once on the brink of extinction, are now on the brink of recovery, though still on the Endangered Species List. From only 22 left in existence in 1982, their numbers have risen to over 400. California condors fly free once more in central & southern California, in Arizona and in Baja, Mexico. Death from ingesting lead-filled flesh continues to be a serious problem.
http://www.friendsofcondors.org/during-the-pl

If you're not too squeamish, I highly recommend:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/behind-the-scenes-skinning-condors-name-science-180964187/ . Only deceased California Condors are received by the Smithsonia & reveal precious information. Lots of detail in this article about the process and some awesome pictures showing size comparisons to humans.

Comments only take a couple of minutes, so please do .. it's the only way I know that peeps are reading!! Please set aside some time and join me on the Blog Hop to see what all of these amazing artists have created.

Guests:  Tammy   Beth   Cat   Anita   Kathy   Alysen (you're here)    Linda   Rozantia   Jennifer   Hope   Sarajo

Team Members:   Caroline   Cathy   Claire   Jen   Jenny   Karen    Laney   Lesley   Lindsay   Marsha   Niky

Comments

  1. Al, this is too cool for words.
    Condors are wonderful birds, but I didn't know they can be funny, too! ;-)

    P.S. Carny, I'll try to distract her, fly, fly away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat ;) .. oh yes, so much we don't know about them! He just took on a life of his own, Uh oh ... I think he did fly away, tho it's a trek to California.

      Delete
  2. OOOOH, condors! yes! Love them! Your post and your piece are great! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Sue, I love them now too! In all my growing up years in CA, I don't remember ever seeing a condor! Strange! Or maybe I just never knew they were condors ...

      Delete
  3. Your take on writing this made me smile. Too funny! And, that leather condor is something beautiful to behold. You've definitely got some skills in tooling and coloring it. At first glance, I would not have known that was leather. I thought it was a real bird! But, I didn't know much about condors - until I read your post. Nicely done all in all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope, that is so nice of you to say. I'm happy the way he came out, and the Hair Slide is not too bad either ... IMHO :).

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing information about the condors. I have had the pleasure of seeing these amazing birds on one of my trips. They are easy to spot since they are so large. I love you hair slide. It is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Kathy, I've discovered a bird that I'm in awe of ... I didn't have time to do a necklace but that's on my list!

      Delete
  5. I love Carny's commentary! And I really love that you decided upon condors. I was hoping someone would break out of the usual owl/hawk/eagle thing and do something quite different. I am stuck in a rut when it comes to birds of prey. I love Carny but am absolutely swooning over the hair slide. I love the silhouette with the moon in the background. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, count on me to break out of the usual stuff ;)). Tho you did traditional but oh so spectacular! If you'd like the slide, get in touch with your address via any social media or email and it's yours. I can't list it on Etsy because it's not 'perfect' IMHO. You know how it goes ...

      Delete
  6. Yes, the Condor!!!! Love Carney and his charm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mr. Carny! Tell your mom that you are absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! Carny is a very colourful characters and rightly so. The Barette is pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Lesley, I enjoyed every minute of his creation and just smiled throughout. I am very pleased with the barrette too.

      Delete
  9. Brilliant designs, I really love the texture in your leather work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Caroline! I love carving and tooling leather though just a beginner. And painting it is even more fun. So many ideas, so little time .....

      Delete
  10. OMG! This may be the best blog post ever, Carny! You are a very handsome bird and I'm thrilled to read such interesting facts about your kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Thank Ye kindly Tammy! I had a lot of fun taking over the blog and 'splainin in my own words.

      Delete
  11. I love that you had so much fun Carny! There are a couple of your relatives out here at a Zoo in Tennessee, but they are no where near this creative and witty. I don't think they get out much! Thank you for playing along with us again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Lindsay, I wish I could set free all of my captive relatives! Even with all my 'witty' comments, I prefer my existence to theirs ://.

      Delete
  12. Carny Vore the hacker, so (verry) funny :) I wouldn't know it was leather, you are really good at this! That creature is beautiful! I always associate condors with westerns and the song El Condor Pasa and I'm glad their number is growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Rozantia! (this is Alysen btw) I had fun letting him take the limelight. I'm glad they're thriving also. But death by lead-ingestion needs to be seriously addressed.

      Delete
  13. I so enjoyed to read this blog post and Carny as well as the barrette turned out great! I also so love the image of the kid next to the condor painting, that really gives a great impression about their size! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! Yes, they're so huge it's hard to imagine without a visual comparison how big California Condors really are!

      Delete
  14. You had me at Carny Vore! I spat my tea on the keyboard!! Totally brilliant read, was giggling and reading ferociously.. see what I did there :P Love him and his beady eyes and feathers... such a sexy bird :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acck! Hope I didn't cause a short in keyboard :)). I had so much fun making all that up, I imagined him with a Brooklyn accent .

      Delete
  15. Loved hearing from Carny, Alysen! He's absolutely, gorgeously handsome, and hilariously funny to boot. The hair slide turned out quite awesome too! Your leather work is improving in leaps and bounds, and I'll look forward to more in future challenges. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, Carny looooved talking about himself too! Thanks for the compliments about the leather work ... I, of course, see loads of room for improvement, but I love working with it as a medium.

      Delete
  16. What a wonderful post, I love seeing progress shots as it helps to see how much work goes into someones creations and what a wonderfully creative post this is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Niky! I love seeing the progress too and try to remember to have my phone at hand while working on a project. At the same time, I try not to inundate and find that a collage works good. Plus the shots are good for Sneak Peeks :).

      Delete
  17. Oh-that was a cool read. I had a smile on my face the whole time.
    I love how you created Carny! Your hair piece is fabulous too.
    Thanks for the information about the condors - really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just had to let him take the stage :)! Researching for this piece gave me a new appreciation for condors. And I still have some design/to make ideas that I'd like to do ... soon.

      Delete
  18. I love this post so very much!!! Great project and info about this California Condor :) Sorry for the late commenting - I had to get Chrome to get Google to allow me to log in to comment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaat! Propriety issues? Sheesh they're all competing and making life rougher for us! Well, Marsha, thank you so much for your comment, you went through alot to get here and Carny Vore thanks you too :)))

      Delete

Post a Comment